Tips for Specific Items
* Make backup copies of all files on the computer.
* Remove all detachable cords and cables and wrap them individually.
* When possible, pack computers in their original packaging. If the original carton and packaging is not available, use plenty of padding to avoid damage.
* When packing printers, remove the ink cartridge before transport.
* Place packing paper at the bottom of a carton for extra padding.
* Pack a glass with 2 pieces of packing paper, and fold the 4 corners into the glass.
* Insert a second glass into the first.
* Wrap a third glass as you did the first.
* Insert a fourth glass into the third and stack onto the other glasses.
* Completely wrap the stack of glasses with several pieces of paper and tape securely to the bundle.
* Place the bundles upright in carton.
* Pack stemware separately.
* Place packing paper on top of the items as well for extra security.
* Once the carton is securely taped, mark its contents as “Fragile-Glassware.”
* Place wadded packing paper along the bottom and sides of the packing carton.
* Place the first plate in the center of a stack of packing paper and wrap 2 sheets over the plate.
* Place a second plate over the first and repeat.
* Continue until you have a bundle of four plates and tape the bundle securely.
* Place the bundle in the box on its edge instead of flat in the carton.
* Add extra wadded packing paper to the top of the box for extra security.
* Secure the carton and mark the box “Fragile-Glassware.”
* Place packing paper between each shade and then nest together into a single stack.
* Lampshades should be packed exclusively in their cartons without any other items.
* Fragile shades, such as ones made of silk, should not be nested with others and should be packed in a carton alone.
* Pad the carton with packing paper before sealing.
Pictures and Paintings
* Place an “X” of masking tape over the glass to help protect the picture itself in case the glass is broken during transport.
* Wrap small pictures individually with bubble wrap and place upright in the packing carton.
* Fill the cartons with towels, bedding, or extra packing paper for padding and seal the carton.
* Mark the box “Fragile-Pictures/Paintings.”
* Leave larger items, including mirrors, to be packed by your movers.